Terms and conditions for STA Examinations, Taught and Home Study courses
The following constitute the terms and conditions to which applicants agree when booking any STA Education. Throughout the terms and conditions, the STA stands for the Society of Technical Analysts Limited and STA Education includes any course, examination or Home Study Course (HSC). The STA reserves the right to review and update these periodically.
1. Registration with the STA (joining the society and creating an account) When booking any STA Education we require you to join the STA and to create an online account and provide us with certain information about yourself. In doing this, you agree to:
- Provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by the registration form
- Maintain and promptly update the data we hold by logging into your account and updating via ‘My profile’
2. Booking STA Education
2.1 Training and HSC courses can be booked via the booking forms available on the STA website: https://www.technicalanalysts.com. You need to be registered with the STA before you can do this as you will be required to log in or create your account to complete the form.
2.2 When you submit a booking for STA Education, your submission represents an offer to the STA to book you onto the course or examination you selected.
2.3 The STA will accept your offer by entering your booking onto the STA system and sending you an email confirming that you have been booked together with information on starting your learning.
3. Prices, discounts and sales taxes/VAT
3.1 Notice of new pricing will be given in advance, but the STA reserves the right to change prices listed without notice.
3.2 Early bird discounts (value as notified) are available on taught courses. The discount is not available in conjunction with any other offer and places are subject to availability.
3.3 If you enter an offer code on the booking form you may be required to provide evidence of your eligibility.
3.4 If three or more people book onto the same taught course from the same organisation they qualify for a 10% discount off the combined course fees. This discount only applies to STA courses and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. Places are subject to availability.
4.1 Fees must be paid at the point of booking via the STA secure online payment process. If you have an applicable discount code this must be entered at the time of booking, as the discount cannot be applied retrospectively.
4.2 All major credit and debit cards are accepted. A receipt will be sent to you by email from the STA confirming payment. Our payment provider will receive the information needed to verify and authorise your payment card and to process your order and is under strict legal and contractual obligations not to disclose this information to third parties. Please note that if you do not provide accurate details (including type of card and number) or if your credit card company does not authorise payment, your application will be deemed void. The STA will not accept any liability for costs incurred as a result of applications deemed void in this manner.
4.3 The STA does not charge VAT on educational sales to members.
4.4 We will only invoice large organisations for fees by prior arrangement. Please contact [email protected] to arrange for invoices, organisational discounts and to provide purchase numbers.
4.5 We cannot accept payment by instalments.
5. Prevailing terms and conditions Please note that this and all other STA pre-contractual documentation shall not constitute an offer. All services provided by STA are on the basis of these Terms and Conditions and if you wish to engage any STA services we shall only provide them if you accept the Terms and Conditions. If you offer to engage STA on your own terms and conditions then we shall only accept your offer subject to the Terms and Conditions, which shall, if we provide the services you offer to engage, prevail over any other terms and conditions.
6. STA Educational courses
6.1 Whilst we make every effort to keep changes to the courses to a minimum, we reserve the right to make any amendments to the terms and conditions at any time to reflect changes affecting our business, including but not limited to, changes in technology, payment methods and legal and regulatory requirements. By using STA educational provision you agree to accept any changes made to the terms and conditions.
6.2 Access to any course video(s)/webcast(s) will only be granted by the STA, in its sole discretion, for the duration of a course or, in exceptional circumstances, in the STA’s sole discretion, a postponed course.
Access to any HSC video(s) and the Exambuilder software (used for the questions and answers at the end of each chapter) will only be granted by the STA, in its sole discretion, for three years.
7. Ownership and intellectual property rights All STA Educational materials, whether on the STA website or at a taught course, are owned by the STA. All intellectual property rights in all materials available from the STA, including the design, graphics and text of all printed materials and the audio of all webinars and podcasts, are owned by the STA. When you are given access to the HSC, you are granted a non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable licence to use the HSC materials. No educational content may be copied, reproduced, uploaded, posted, displayed or linked to in any way, in whole or in part, without the STA’s prior permission. Any such use is strictly prohibited and will constitute an infringement of the STA’s intellectual property rights.
8. Special requirements at the taught courses The STA will make every effort to accommodate special requirements that have been notified in advance on the booking form.
9. Health and safety at the taught course You must comply with all health and safety rules and regulations and any other reasonable security requirements that apply at the premises at which the training courses are provided.
10. Invitation letters Should a participant require an invitation letter from the STA, we are unable to provide this. STA courses are not suitable for visa applications.
11. Behaviour The STA reserves the right to remove any delegate from a course whose behaviour is deemed inappropriate by the STA or its trainers. In these circumstances, the STA will neither refund any fees nor reimburse any other costs.
12. Trainers The STA shall provide such trainers to present the course as it, in its sole discretion, deems fit and the STA shall be entitled at any time to substitute any trainer with any other person who, in the STA’s sole discretion, it deems suitably qualified to present the relevant course.
13. Liability The STA does not accept responsibility for anyone acting as a result of information in, or views expressed on, its courses including course materials. Opinions expressed are those of individual trainers and not necessarily those of the STA. Participants should take professional advice when dealing with specific situations.
14. Technology The STA does not warrant that the provision of any content online will always be available or be uninterrupted, timely or error free, that defects will be corrected or that such content is secure or free from bugs, viruses, errors and omissions.
15. Joining Instructions Joining instructions will be provided by email before the start of any course or examination. The STA will not be held responsible for non-receipt of joining instructions and refunds will not be issued under such circumstances.
16.1 Cancellation of an Examination or training course If you need to cancel your place on a course or examination, you must notify the STA via email more than 14 days before the examination or course start date. You will receive a full refund less an admin fee of 20% of the fee. If you cancel your place less than 14 days before the examination or course start date, you will not be entitled to a refund.
16.2 Substituting your examination taught course place If you need to substitute your place on a course or examination, you must notify the STA via email. If the STA is notified more than 14 days before the examination or course start date there will be no charge. Any changes made less than 14 days before the course start date will incur a £50 admin fee.
16.3 Transferring your place If you can no longer attend the training course you are entitled to transfer your booking onto the next course that has availability. The transfer option only applies to delegates who are transferring to a different date for the same course and the date must be specified at the time of the transfer. The transfer is free of charge if you notify the STA via email more than 28 days before the course start date.
- Examinations may only be postponed twice, after that the fee is forfeited
- Examination and course fees are forfeited should you cease to be a member of the STA
- Transfers made 15-28 days prior to a course will be charged at 20% of the course fee plus a £50 admin fee
- Transfers made 0-14 days prior to a course will be charged at 50% of the course fee plus a £50 admin fee Please note once you have transferred your booking you will not be entitled to a refund and you cannot transfer your place more than once
16.4 Cancellation of an HSC course Once you have purchased an HSC course you have up to 14 days from the purchase date to cancel your booking and receive a full refund provided that the HSC has not been accessed. After the 14 days, or if the HSC has been accessed you will not be entitled to any refund, nor will you be able to transfer your HSC to another person or onto another HSC course.
16.5 Changes and/or Cancellation by the STA The STA reserves the right to alter or cancel a course or examination up to and including the day of the course or examination in extreme circumstances. If the STA has to cancel a training course, the following will apply:
- the STA will try to reschedule the event and will inform you of the rescheduled dates and location
- if the STA can’t reschedule the training course we will, where possible, provide an alternative (e.g. virtual classroom training course)
- if the STA is unable to reschedule the event we will offer you a free transfer to the next available course or examination
- if you are unable to attend the rescheduled dates, we will offer you a 100% refund of the fee
- any travel costs incurred are entirely the delegate’s responsibility. The STA does not accept any liability for reimbursement of travel costs.
- refunds will be processed within 28 working days of receiving your request via bank transfer to the original payer.
16.6 Non-attendance If you fail to attend the course or examination you are booked onto without giving prior notice to the STA, we will be unable to refund the fees or offer a transfer.
17. Examinations, grounds for appeals against a failing score An appeal is possible if there were practical difficulties during an exam, such as internet connection issues. An appeal for purely academic reasons is not possible. The Part 1 examination is machine graded, and the Part 2 examination papers are marked and double-checked by a panel of highly experienced professionals.